Follow Graphic Technologies, Inc. on Social Media for the latest news, product information, software updates, and more:
Friday, August 30, 2013
Thursday, August 29, 2013
GTI has been working on versions of GTViewer for both iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android (phone/tablet) for over a year. The device version of GTViewer is roughly equivalent to the device version of the GTWeb client and both have a similar look and feel. Both apps provide the same basic functionality like panning, zooming, locate queries, display presets, GPS tracking, attribute info, and favorites. The defining difference between GTViewer on the device and GTWeb is that the data is local (on the device) for GTViewer and accessed through the internet or intranet for GTWeb. This difference may seem trivial, but it is actually quite substantial. GTWeb reads the GTViewer data, renders the view, and queries the database all on the server. The server sends an image to the GTWeb client and it works with the image. All of the heavy lifting is done by the GTWeb Server, and it shares a significant amount of code with the desktop version of GTViewer. For GTViewer on the device, reading GTViewer data, rendering the views, and querying the database must all be done on the device without the assistance of a server (and all of that shared Windows code).
Getting Data onto the Device
Getting data on the device is not as easy as it is with a Windows laptop or even Windows Mobile. Sandboxed apps, WiFi connectivity, no SD cards (iOS), and an inaccessible File System all make the simple process of copying data onto the device more complex. To solve this problem, we have created a server component that is responsible for managing the data projects and distributing them to the devices. GTViewer Data is placed on the server in its unextracted format (.GTM file plus dependencies) and the data is compressed (to .zip files) and cataloged in a manifest. The GTViewer app on the device can query the server to see what projects are available and will check to see if any data projects currently loaded have been updated. The user can then choose to update an existing dataset or download a new one. Updating a dataset only requires the downloading of files that have changed in the GTViewer dataset, so an entire refresh may not be necessary in certain situations.
There are some limitations with GTViewer for iOS and Android.
- You must have room on your device for the data.
- Since data can be very large, we restrict the data downloads to WiFi.
- There is a size limit of around 700M per .GTG and .GTN file on iOS. All other files have a 2G limit (same as desktop GTViewer).
- MrSID and ECW raster files are not supported yet on iOS or Android, so they cannot be supported as backdrop files. However, it may not be practical to tote all of your raster files around with you anyway since their size may easily consume all of the space available on your device.
- Only supports Standard fonts (.DFN), but we do provide assistance for converting TrueType fonts to .DFN. This limitation may change in time as well.
- Redlines are coming, but not here yet.
There are 3 videos below showing the new GTViewer app on various devices.
GTViewer on an iPad
GTViewer on a Moto X (Android Phone)
GTViewer on a Motorola Xoom (Android Tablet) - pardon the poor video quality with the Xoom. Its extremely reflective screen did not play well with the camera.
Monday, August 26, 2013
GT/Field Pro version 22.214.171.124 is available.
09.00.00.28 - 8/26/13
- FIX - #7264 - The GTFieldFile entry is now read from the end of the list of properties instead of the beginning so it can be overridden with the addprop.ini file.
09.00.00.27 - 5/25/13
- FIX - #7213 - The keyboard plus and minus keys were not zooming in and out correctly.
- FIX - #7211 - Session graphics would not always use a 2 key linkage if a linkage is specified with key2 being 0.
- FIX - #7212 - Problem with determining High Key values when a session was opened.
09.00.00.25 - 4/30/13
- CHG - #7189 - Occurrence token will now start count at 1.
09.00.00.24 - 4/29/13
- NEW - #7188 - The Default Value can be set to
09.00.00.23 - 4/22/13
- NEW - #7180 - The Post Filename will now accept the %date% and
09.00.00.22 - 4/19/13
- FIX - #7178 - The Value: token was not working on new repeating records (past the initial repeating record).
09.00.00.21 - 4/8/13
- CHG - #7172 - The GTField_Guid attribute is now populated when a feature is created or edited so that its value can be used by the default value "Value:" token.
- NEW - #7173 - The "Value:" token has been added to the Default Value feature so that values defined in the GTField Feature state can be referenced.
- FIX - #7174 - The Status Bar message was not clear after point was captured for new feature.
GT/Field for Window Mobile version 126.96.36.199 is available.
09.00.00.08 - 08/26/13
- FIX - #7265 - The GTFieldFile entry is now read from the end of the list of properties instead of the beginning so it can be overridden with the addprop.ini file.
- NEW - #7266 - TopConFlag entry was added to specify a TopCon GPS Receiver.
The GTViewer .NET Control for Windows version 188.8.131.52 is Available.
09.00.00.36 - 8/26/13
- NEW - #7263 - GetAdditionalPropertyFromEnd method added.
09.00.00.35 - 6/30/13
- FIX - #7227 - Newly created child views did not inherits the parent's current
09.00.00.34 - 6/28/13
- FIX - #7226 - More fixes to the Child View GPS Indicator problem (#7225).
09.00.00.33 - 6/25/13
- CHG - #7207 - Drawing Session Graphics will not always use a 2 key linkage if a linkage is specified. It was previously using a 1 key if key2 were 0.
- FIX - #7210 - Problem with determining High Key values when a session was opened.
- FIX - #7225 - GPS Indicator did not hide in child views when the Tracking was stopped in the main view.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
GTViewer version 184.108.40.206 is available. This is a BETA version!
This beta version is fixes one problem with Dynamic Graphics and updates the Demo data set.
We are getting ready to release this version. Please test with it now so we can fix any problems that may arise.
14.00.00.07 - 8/21/13
- FIX - #7256 - Invert a Dynamic Graphic element's color if the color is the same as the background
- NEW - #7257 - Updated Demo Data delivered with GTViewer.
Friday, August 02, 2013
GTViewer version 220.127.116.11 is available. This is a BETA version!
This beta version is fixes some problems with the new Count feature used with Dynamic Graphics.
14.00.00.05 - 8/2/13
- FIX - #7245 - The By Feature and By Feature Component options did not disable when count in shape options were disabled.
- FIX - #7252 - Count for Dynamic Graphics was not working on the Detail Dialog for Info and Locate if the values were no longer visible in the view.